We received this cartridge with a damper issue and a worn out diamond tip. Koetsu damper do wear out with time and induce a stiffness in the damping system. This induce much lower compliance and tracking issues. From the serial number of the cartridge (sn. 2004) we estimate that it is a very early sample of Koetsu Goldline (circa 1985).
- thoroughly clean of the cartridge internally and externally
- rebuild the damper in order to get get back the original VTF (2,0 g) and compliance (13 x 10 – 6 cm/dyn)
- adjustment of the coils and setting of the coil former in optimal position for best channel separation and of course optimal balance between right and left channel
- fitting of a new cantilever and diamond tip identical to original (very similar to a Line Contact tip)
After repair we measured the following specifications :
- output level : 0,35 mV
- nominal Vertical Tracking Force : 2,0 g
- tracking : > 80 micron / 20 mN / 315Hz lateral
- compliance : 13 x 10 – 6 cm/dyn
- impedance : 5,1 ohms
- mass : 12,1 g
- original boxing (there is a few slight scuffs on the leather parts of the box)
- no cantilever protector
- Koetsu packaging is reduced to minimal with no manual, no screw sets, no allen keys or screwdriver
The Koetsu Goldline is after repairs in VG++ condition and fully functional with specifications as close as possible to original state. There are some faint marks on the body where the screws to fix the cartridge to headshell are passing. These are close to invisible when the cartridge is installed on the tonearm.
A few words about this Koetsu Black Goldline
This generation of Koetsu Black Goldline cartridges have a higher compliance than usual Koetsu. They allow the user to taste the “Koetsu sound” with a wider variety of tonearms from medium effective to higher effective mass. This cartridge is often seen in combination with SME V tonearms but it will also work very well with a Jelco SA-750D. The perfect way to start your Koetsu experience !