We received this cartridge with a seriously bent cantilever. But this was not the only issue.
In order to make this cartridge fully operational we had to :
- full disassembly of the cartridge to restore proper mechanical construction of the cartridge
- thorough cleaning of the cartridge
- damper tampering in order to allow correct VTF and preliminary piano wire tension adjustment(s)
- adjustment of the coils and setting of the coil former in optimal position for best channel separation and of course optimal balance between right and left channel
- instead of the original Shibata EVO stylus on aluminium cantilever we installed a Shibata EVO stylus on a boron cantilever
After repair we measured the following specifications :
- output level : 0,5 mV
- nominal Vertical Tracking Force : 1.8 g
- tracking : > 80 micron / 18mN / 315Hz lateral
- compliance : 17 x 10 – 6 cm/dyn
- impedance : 6.8 ohms
- mass : 11.5 g
The Acoustical Systems – Archon is a cross coil design with a confortable output for this reason, it will match well with most solid state phono stage. By replacing the original aluminium cantilever with a boron cantilever we gained :
- better rigidity of the cantilever assembly (more linearity of the frequency response, better transient response)
- lesser weight (lower moving effective mass ensuring better tracking)
- original internal aluminium tube resonances suppression (less colorations)
- original boxing (there is a few slight scuffs on the leather parts of the box)
The Archon cartridge is after repairs in NM condition and fully functional with better specifications than in original state.
We do believe that after our repairs this cartridge another level of performances.