From the legendary Denon DL-103 cartridge internal structure we have developed our own iterations named A.3 and A.4.
Few parts remain from the original design but we do stick for instance to the original AlNiCo magnet.
Both A.3 and A.4 are above all a reflexion on how to adapt modern diamond tip profiles to a design launched in 1962. For this we have developed a totally new dual structure body which allows us to dampen and shield the generator from both internal and external solicitations. It also helps us to achieve specific stylus rack angles adapted to the different diamond tip profiles used.
In addition, we have modified the damper and internal settings in order to achieve a medium compliance of 12 μm/mN which will be an optimum fit with most modern tonearms.
By using boron cantilevers and modern diamond tip, we significantly lower the moving effective mass of our cartridges thus providing better tracking (>80 μm @315Hz lateral), improved tonal balance, better dynamic and transient response and soundstage. The A .4 challenges even more this approach by using hand made coils in either copper or silver with impedances more than ten time lower than the original Denon DL-103. The A .4 is the lowest impedance cross coil design with AlNiCo magnet available and this is certainly why it sounds so vividly natural.
Sculpture A’s cartridge designs are guided by the following principles :
- low effective mass of moving assemblies in phono cartridges
- high tracking abilities exceeding 90 micron @ 315 Hz lateral
- fine tuning by earring and measurements sessions in order to achieve best sonic and measurement figures
- innovation with carefully chosen materials teamed a unique and functional design
- full emphasis on the signal path coming out from the cartridge through our dedicated phono stage, phono cables and step-up transformers